[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor spectra and chemical composition

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome to the list. I have a question
regarding the spectra and chemical composition of meteors which I am hoping
the erudite members of this list might be able to answer.

According to the Collins Dictionary of Astronomy [Illingworth 1994], meteors
of a velocity of up to 74 km/sec i.e. the fastest ones, have doiminant lines
in their spectrum representing CaII, H, K (Ionized calcium, Hydrogen,
Potassium), where as meteors of a lower velocity i.e. the slowest ones, have
dominent lines representing NaI, MgI, FeI (Sodium, Magnesium and Iron with
ionizing potentials).

My question is therefore :

Are these the ONLY or merely most common spectra of meteors?. Or, are there
other "sporadic" -sorry for using the terminology in a different context!-
meteors of which spectra show dominant lines of different elements?.

One other quick question :). Are there any good textbooks devoted to meteor
astronomy?, Preferably undergraduate level or popular science -I'm not
adverse to learning any maths invloved!.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Clear Skies,

Graham.
Graham Beedie, Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
LAT - 56 deg 27' 54"N
LON - 003 deg 00' 42"W