[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor spectra and chemical composition

>According to the Collins Dictionary of Astronomy [Illingworth 1994], meteors
>of a velocity of up to 74 km/sec i.e. the fastest ones, have doiminant lines
>in their spectrum representing CaII, H, K (Ionized calcium, Hydrogen,
>Potassium), where as meteors of a lower velocity i.e. the slowest ones, have
>dominent lines representing NaI, MgI, FeI (Sodium, Magnesium and Iron with
>ionizing potentials).

>Are these the ONLY or merely most common spectra of meteors?. Or, are there
>other "sporadic" -sorry for using the terminology in a different context!-
>meteors of which spectra show dominant lines of different elements?.

Hi Graham,

Basically, this is true. Millman classified spectra into 4 types:

Type Y: high velocity...H and K lines of CA II strongest.
Type X: moderate velocity...NA I or Mg I strongest.
Type Z: low velocity...Fe I or Cr I strongest.
Type W: miscellaneous spectra.

This is somewhat dated (1959) so I am unsure if more recent research has
changed this. Many of the same elements in meteorites have been seen in
meteor spectra.

>One other quick question :). Are there any good textbooks devoted to meteor
>astronomy?, Preferably undergraduate level or popular science -I'm not
>adverse to learning any maths invloved!.

My first suggestion would be a copy of the IMO Handbook. Email me at the
address below if you need more information on how to obtain it.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net