[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible radio outburst July 23 1400-1500UT

Peter Jenniskens wrote:
>>>...I read about your possible radio outburst of July 23 upon my return
from Brazil where we tried to observe a meteor outburst using multi-station
photography (in vain). What is the status at present? Was it confirmed by
others? Any visual observations?...<<<

Peter,

Regarding the July 23, 1996,  1400UT  (8am MDT local time) **possible**
outburst:

It is inconclusive at the moment. There were no visual observations as it
was daylight.

California radio meteor observer Jim Riggs had a high jump in count for
that hour and I need to check back with Jim. Jim is 1000 miles or so due
west of my New Mexico observatory.

The only other western North American radio observer is in Calgary Canada
and he showed no enhanced activity, but he is 1000 miles to the north.

I counted 99 reflections on my FM system which is not extraordinary but
what set me into alert was a higher number of fireballs.  There are moments
when you pass through denser debris belts of certain showers (like the
radio Perseids) when there is a sustained radio reception. To me this 1400
UT hour had that "feel."

Now in retrospect and in seeing the current pattern of increasing radio
meteors with higher fireball counts than earlier this summer, I think we
may have experienced a dynamic mixture of coincidental fireballs, numerous
normal morning sporadics, and some possible light synchronous sporadic-E
that made for activity that seemed like passage through a dense meteor
debris belt of some sort.

Without further corroborative reports, an outburst may be unlikely.  But
Riggs' numbers are certainly intriguing.

Best regards,
Tom Ashcraft
35^ 41' N  105^ 57'  W
Santa Fe, New Mexico