[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Counting method time accuracy

Hi all;

A question was raised recently on the required accuracy required in timing
meteor events.  The NAMN is requiring accuracy to the nearest minute when
using the COUNTING method,  but the new edition of the IMO visual observers
handbook has backed off to only recording time tags every half hour (15
minutes during very high activity).  I understand their reasoning that
there is no science to be gained from single station observations accurate
to the minute, and it is best not to lose any Teff by checking your watch
repeatedly (unless your listening to WWV).  In the end analysis, the HOURLY
cummulative rates are what is analysed from counting data.  They do look at
shorter time intervals during meteor outbursts.  Of course with plotting
the IMO still requires records to the nearest minute.  Do we want to follow
the IMO for the counting method to maximize observation time of the sky.
One still would record all the other pertinent data on each meteor (color,
duration, magnitude, speed, train) preferably via tape recorder.  Thought
this might be pertinent since a lot of us will be using the counting method
in the upcoming Perseid peak.

I have been able to arrange travel to a contractor review in Tucson during
the upcoming Perseid meteor peak. Thus, I hope to leave the humidity and
haze back in Virginia for the first time in several years.  My plan is to
observe from Kitt peak's visitor parking lot (got to check in with some old
Univ of Az astronomy alumni to do that).  Is there anyone who is interested
in double station work around Tucson for Aug 11/12-14/15?  I am planning to
have the intensified video system running, letting it drift on either side
of the radiant during the night.

Clear nights;    Pete Gural