[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Handbooks

Marji asked:
>where is the quickest avenue to obtain the IMO Visual Handbook?

Good question! George, Mark, and Wayne have mentioned the Visual Handbook (and
its Photographic cousin) in various posts lately, but the quickest way to get
access to the people who put it out (and so glean information that is in it, or
get your own copy) is through that IMO Web page I've mentioned before, at:
	http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo/imo/

COMPLETE information on observing both major AND minor showers visually (there
are important differences in technique depending on the number of meteors you
expect per hour), photographically, telescopically, with video, and with radio
are all contained under these pages, along with plenty of email and postal
contact information for the coordinators and members of IMO, references to
research papers and databases on and off the net, and other useful stuff!

Anyone who doesn't have Web access, and needs a particular piece of info they
think might be at the IMO site, let me know and I can try to reproduce for you.

BTW, the IMO handbooks are not expensive, but not cheap. For those who are just
getting started, and don't mind using dated information temporarily, I believe
Bob Lunsford has some remainders of the previous edition of the IMO Handbook
from Sky Publishing, for an extremely reasonable price. Am I wrong, Bob?

For those interested in joining ALPO (Association of Lunar and Planetary
Observers), there is also a short handbook written by Bob, which has been
recommended here on the list before. (I don't have this guide myself yet.)

Lew