[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Found a meteorite?

<< Has anyone on this list ever seen a meteor and actually found it after
 >impacting with the ground?  If so, please tell us about it.  I know
 >most of the meteors witnessed are too small to survive in Earth's air
 >for very long, but I'm sure a few of those fireballs are an exception.
 >This would also apply to artificial debris.

This is extremely difficult, unless it falls in your front yard with you on
the porch.  Harvey Ninninger (the father of American Meteoritics) wrote a
book about his travels criss-crossing the US and Mexico. Many hundreds of
miles, and countless interviews are needed to find just one strewn field.
 Amost all the interviews said "just over the next hill", just over the next
hill ended up being 400 miles away!
The name of the book is "Find a Falling Star". It's out of print but those
out of print book catalogs usually have a copy (Knollwood Books is good )

Kev