[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) computers and visual meteor observing

<< However arguments are only
 invitations for discovery and innovation. I hope to see a digital skymap
 with touch screen entry soon. I see it as inevitable.

 Marji Booker >>
------
Marji,
I don't see this as an inevitable item.  As long as the device requires a
human to operate , It won't be as accurate as the human could do with charts
and a pencil. You need to go out there and try it first with a pencil and
paper to see what little nuances that will create problems.  I can think of a
lot that I can't even put into words. With the proposed digital system, you
are still relying on the human observer to record the data...but the more
things you got to think about that one would normally assume to be nothing,
the more likely you are going to error with the data going into the computer
about the plot. Just repositing the keyboard in one's lap or stomach while
trying to type or do whatever you do is a major distraction, when you are
trying to hold fleeting info in your head is a major thought changing
process.  I think you will save yourself a lot of work if you go out and try
plotting for a while.
George Z.