[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) computers and visual meteor observing

You certainly have a good point, George. Good technonlogy isn't cheap.
What we need is some philanthropic Meteor-ite to win a big lottery so he or
she can develop and donate equipment to observers.
I volunteer :-)
Wayne
-------------
Original Text
From GeoZay@aoldot com, on 8/6/96 1:53 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

<< Just my nickel.... All I can say George, is don't underestimate the
future

 innovations.
 Were a gnomic digital startchart properly mounted, there would almost be
no
 difference from paper plotting, IF PERFECTED. I can also envision, after
 plotting the postion, just having an area to point at with your *pencil*
 with magnitudes listed, just touch the +4 box, spped, touch the 3 box,
etc.

-----
Just out of curiosity...what price range do you think a critter like this
would be costing?...over $200...$500? ...Less than $200? I'm sure if money
is
no object, just about anything can be constructed.  But I'm just curious to
possible cost.  I cringe just trying to afford the body of a used camera
for
about $100. I also wouldn't get too hung up for the sake of simplicity
while
you still have a human making the determination of where a meteor was at
amongst the stars.   Sounds like you might be going to a lot of expense to
replace a pencil and a piece of paper. I recalled reading an article not
long
ago about constructing an affordable meteor video recording system for
around
several thousand dollars...affordable to whom? I don't know the exact cost
of
such systems, but I know it is currently out of my price range and most
likely will always be.
George Z.