[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) computer plotting vs chart manual plot

Hi Lewis,

CAVMOT, huh?  Hmmm...

Seriously, the device that I mentioned is a goal, and not yet a reality.
Much work still remains before we even have a working prototype.  Thus, I
have been monitoring this thread with interest to see what concerns are
brought up which we have not yet considered.

The platform device we have been investigating is the notebook computer, or
Personal Data Assistant (PDA).  As an example, Apple's Newton has shown
itself to be quite rugged in the field, handling temperatures from 9 deg F
to 95 deg F, as well as heavy dewing conditions, and yet still function
properly.  Using keyboard entry, a software package for collecting
desriptive data only could be developed right now.

The notebook computers are small and light-weight enough to permit laying
the computer on one's lap and operating it from a reclining position.
Practice and keyboard familiarity, as well as sound cues from the computer
can make screen viewing unnecessary while actively watching for meteors.  As
a blind computer user, I use a small computer for note taking purposes which
has no screen at all.  All functions would be simplified, and made as quick
and convenient as possible.  When a meteor is seen, one key would be pressed
to record the time from the computer's clock.  Using an "imbedded" number
pad within the keyboard, other parameters would be entered with their
associated "hot" keys.  for example, recording 2nd magnitude would require
pressing only "2M."  Other necessary features would include the recording of
breaks, limiting magnitudes, cloud coverage over the viewing area, meteor
shower association, etc.  Another concern is not overloading the observer
when multiple meteors are seen one after another.  The observer should be
able to record a time on one meteor while still entering data on another,
and record only that information he or she is confident in after each event.

The next step to be worked out is plotting.  Initial investigations involved
the same ideas that have been brought up here, that is, copying the paper
method of plotting on the computer screen using a touch pencil.  So far, the
charts created using this method turn out to be smaller and more difficult
to use than paper charts, with lost accuracy due to their smaller size and
more time being spent by the observer looking down and away from the sky.
It finally dawned on us that rather than trying to copy the paper method, we
should be trying to find a way to use technology to devise a better way of
gaining sky positions without having to look down at a chart.  This is still
under investigation, but Bill has already mentioned one possibility using an
Alt/Azimuth  mounted Telrad.  Other possibilities are also being looked into.

As Margi mentioned, voice recognition is also an option, although I would
like to see first generation devices use the keyboard only, working out the
kinks in that area first.  Future generation devices could allow voice input
as an option to keyboard entry, for those desiring it.

All of this is still in the realm of speculation and initial development.
However, as do most of you, I see a great deal of potential from the
computer technology already available on the market for adoption to our
field of interest.  I am particularly impressed with the amount of
enthusiasm shown on this list for the development of such a device, and some
of you with particular talents in this area are welcome to contact me if you
would like to help the AmS in this endeavor.

Take care, everyone,

Jim Richardson
Graceville, FL
Richardson@DigitalExpdot com