[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) skeeters (was Re: Possible Xi Perseid)

Warning: Silly discussion about the worst mosquitoes in the US follows...

>I don't know about that, I'd put ours here along the SC coast up agin' those
>Florida-types...we have the Mike Tyson mosquito, BIG...and it keeps coming
>back no matter how hard you "swat" it...

HAH! I'll wager a Glades mosquito against those soft-spoken Deep South skeeters
any day of the week! Why, did you know that there are (exactly!) 33 species of
mosquito populous in these United States, and no less than *32* of them THRIVE
in the Everglades. More than anywhere else! And of course, of those thirty-two,
at least a few are from those exotic, Latin American species that exist nowhere
else on this (lucky) Continent. Heck, I remember watching a graze occultation
one deep Summer night from the Glades, and I swear to gosh, I could not get my
eyes close enough to that eyepiece to watch, thanks to those little buzzers!

Course up here in New England, the mosquitoes are about as thick as the
raindrops: in other words, if you didn't run into one on purpose, you'd never
know it was there...

;>
Lew