[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: automated meteor observation entry?

Hello Lew,
indeed we have developed a system of computer-based visual meteor
observation, which was described in detail at the 1991 IMC (literature
reference: Nitschke, M. (1991), "Computer-Based Meteor Observation",
Proceedings of the International Meteor Conference 1991, p.54). There is
also a page with some photographs and descriptions of the system in the WWW
(http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo/meteore/computer.html - text in German).

To give you some ideas of what we did: In 1989 we tried for the first
time to support visual observations with a computer. The main idea was to
operate a computer with special hand devices during observation to store
main data (time, brightness and shower membership of a meteor) as well as
other parameters (time of observation, limiting magnitude, clouds) online
during the observation on a hard disc. The advantages are, that you have
almost no dead time during observation (i.e. you watch the sky all the
time and have only a quick control glimpse on the display after each
meteor), you obtain accurate timings for each meteor and you have all data
ready in your computer right after the observation. So you do not need to
check your audio tape afterwards (which is always a boring job), but can
calculate reliable shower rates and create observation reports within
five minutes after the observation.
The major disadvantage is your depencdence on electricity.

The first prototype was operated with a ZX Spectrum (if you still know
those machines ;-), which was worth gold in those years before the
reunification of Germany.
After the fall of the wall, PCs became available and we redesigned the
system in 1991 incorporating the experiences from '89. That is, Mirko
Nitschke did all the hardware construction, and I wrote the analysis
software. From that time on the system remained unchanged an we have used
it on several occasions during the activity of major showers. It is
definitely fun having it available, because you do not have so much work
after the observation, but it cannot replace meteors plottings, of course.

So, how does the system looks like (you find some 'historic' images as
described in the web): We have up to 4 hand devices connected via a 10m
serial lines to our computer (an old XT serves fine for that purpouse).
Each hand device has an off/on switch (with that you mark the begin and
end of observations, the times are stored in a text file on the hard
disc), two 7-segment-displays and two switches which can be pushed up and
down. Once you see a meteor, you press the right button down (the time is
stored immediately), and "3 C" appears on your display. With the left
button you can now change the brightness (between -6 and 6), if you push the
right button up, the letter cycles between "A", "C" and "E" corresponding
to two meteor showers (to be assigned at the beginning of the
observation) and sporadic meteors. Once the data are ok, you watch
shortly at the display to control them, and send them to the computer by
pressing the right button down again.
If you pressed the right button by accident, you can send a -7 meteor,
which will not be stored.
All extra information (limiting magnitude, clouds, changes of the field
of view, remarks) need to be entered directly via the computer's
keyboard, or can be added later to the text file.
After the observation all data are stored in three text files. Those can
directly be read from the analysis program, which creates report forms
and calculates shower rates.

The software (in German) is freely available at the Internet. We also
wrote a little demo program, where two hand devices are simulated on your
computer, which can be found at my web page (http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo)
as well (again in German).
Meteor observers from Austria (Erich Weber and his friends) built the
same system a second time and operate it during major meteor showers as
well. However, the original electronic design of Mirko incorporated some
IC's which aren't available anymore. So, it is impossible to built the
system another time with the same electronic setup. However, Mirko
(nitschke@argos.ipfdddot de) will provide you with help and valuable
information if you intend to construct a similar system.
Cheers, Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *