[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Sensing" meteors & VLF radio

At 14:42 09-08-96 -0400, you wrote:
>August 9, 1996
>
>Greetings.
>
>I am setting up an experiment which attempts to receive VLF (very low
>frequency) radio waves from meteors during the Perseids.  This experiment
>may have some bearing on whether or not a meteor can be "heard"
>simultaneously with its being seen and I know there is a long standing
>debate on this subject.
>
>Has anybody tried or know anything about this sort of VLF experiment?
>(Please note that this is not the forward scatter radio method of reception
>in this case.) The only info I have on the subject is a March 1992 Sky and
>Telescope article, page 329, "Radio Waves From A Meteor?", written by
>George Drobnock.
>
>I tried this experiment once before in July 1995 while observing the alpha
>Capricornids up in the mountains around Los Alamos, New Mexico.  That
>experiment was thwarted due to the unexpected irritation of bats by the VLF
>receiver itself.  The bats did *not* like something being emitted by the
>radio and made aggressive dives toward me and my observing partner whenever
>the radio was switched on.
>
>Any advice or references appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Tom Ashcraft
>72632.1427@compuservedot com
>Radio Fireball Observatory
>35^ 41' 08"  N  105^ 56' 43"  W
>New Mexico

Dear Tom,

I know Peter Brown and Martin Beech (Univ. Ontario) tried during the 1993
Perseids and more or less failed in their attempt. Perseids might not be the
most appropriate meteors. Better might be low or medium velocity fireballs
with deep entry. Reference of use might be article  of Colin Keay in
Meteoritics 1991 or 1992 (don't know from heart which one: do not have my
archive at this place, which is not my home) about electrophonic sounds.

Success!!!

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society

|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |