[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids on the increase, Aug 10/11

Hi Everybody,

First of all, good luck to you guys in Europe, I hope the long drive pays
off. Keep us informed...

I managed 7 hours of observing this morning under clear skies. The Perseids
are definitely on the increase, as the past two mornings, only a few per
hour were observed. Beginning at 0200 hours UT, my hourly Perseid count was:

(0); (1); (4); (10); (12); (12); (22)

The first two hours were before local midnight and with the radiant at a low
elevation. Limiting magnitude of the sky was not too good, starting at 5.6
and going up to 5.8 toward morning, a little worse than normal...summertime! :(

Should I dare to hope for a fourth straight night with clear skies? I am
forced to go in to work today, come home, sleep 3 hours, then I'll be out
for 7 more hours of the Perseids. I'm off of work the next two days.

If I'm clouded, I will still stay up and check the sky conditions for
clearing every 30 minutes.