[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Results Aug 10/11 ZAYGE

Aug 10/11, 1996 Meteor Results

Last night I again observed for approximate 7 hours (after some dead time and
breaks are subtracted) under clear, 6.0 skies from Descanso, Calif.
USA...Lat: 32 deg 50m 00s North, Long: 116 deg, 38m 13s West. No clouds at
all...fingers still crossed for tonights peak.  Activity is definitely on the
rise with moments of seemingly slower rates for the Perseids.  More bright
meteors once again seen...several of which I believe I've photographed while
using my rotating shutter...won't know for sure until I develop my film
tomorrow.  My meteor tally as is follows...The final report will be
eventually sent to NAMN, ALPO, and IMO.

176 meteors total
95 Perseids
2 Alpha Capricornids
1 Kappa Cygnid
15 S. Delta Aquarids
2 N. Delta Aquarids
1 S. Iota Aquarid
59 Sporadics

Break down in Periods shown below:

4h35-5h35  1 PER, 1 SIA, 3 Spor
5h35-6h35  2 PER, 1 NDA, 7 Spor
6h35-7h35  10 PER, 2 SDA, 2 CAP, 1 SIA, 1 KCG, 9 Spor
7h35-8h35  24 PER, 3 SDA, 1 NDA, 10 Spor
8h35-9h35  17 PER, 5 Spor
9h35-10h35  13 PER, 4 SDA, 7 Spor
10h35-11h54  28 PER, 4 SDA, 15 Spor

Bright Meteor Breakdown are as follows:
PER = -8, -6, -6, -5, -3, -2, -2, -2, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1
SDA = -1
Spor = -2

The Perseid -8 fireball had a train lasting for 10 seconds...and one of the
-6 Perseid fireballs had a 15 second train...both were very brilliant and a
pleasure
to witness.  The possibility that I've photographed both -6's and the -5 are
high...but the -8 was way to the West well outside of my camera'a view.

Lunsford observed at my sight, but we've been looking in approximately 90
degrees
from each other and were separated by about 30 feet away from each others
sight...I had the pleasure of my 16 year old daughter with me...awake at
times! Bob usually is able to see more than I because of his better
perception...his meteor tally is no doubt over 200.

George Zay