[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseid's 11/12th "rained out" in N.E Scotland

At 08:00 PM 8/12/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, the weather here in Monifieth -see signature for exact
>location- put paid to any observations of the Perseids. The day of the
>11/12th was exceptionally clear which boosted my hopes that the night would
>be clear. Unfortunately by 20 00 UT cumulus had started to roll in and by 21
>00 UT the sky was completely clouded over. By 21 30 UT it was raining
>heavily!. I checked the sky for the last time at 02 00 UT the cumlus had not
>shifted and it did'nt look like it was going to! :(.

>Graham.

I sympathize. We've gotten a lot of .... rain showers instead of a meteor
shower here in Manila.  Unfortunately, when the Perseids peak, our rainy
season is also at a peak!  Darn, just when there were patches of clear
skies starting last Wednesday, and then boom, come Saturday, clouds rule!

Unfortunately, there is a tropical storm (Kirk) to the northeast of our
country, and it has been hovering there for more than 10 days, and as it
hovers, it pulls up the clouds from the South China Sea across the country.

One of our members was able to observe late Friday to early Saturday morning,
and he was able to observe quite a number of meteors, including some Perseids.
What was the the highlight of his observation was an orange fireball that
travelled from near Polaris and exploded southwest of Scorpius.  This
reminded me of our Perseid watch about 2 years ago, when we saw this bright
white fireball (est. mag. -8) that lit up the surroundings.  It was
travelling quite slowly northward from nearly overhead through patches of
clouds, and took 5 seconds to finish its downward movement.  It took another
5 seconds for its trail to dissipate.

Ah, well, another drenched Perseid peak.  Here's looking forward to the
Orionids.

Jun
<        Jun Lao, Editor, the Appulse       >
<    The Philippine Astronomical Society    >
< Bringing the Heavens Down to the Filipino >