[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: UK weather

Back in circulation, bleary-eyed, and with work to do rather than
e-mail! Briefly, it looks like NW British Isles may have had clear
skies on Aug 11-12, while clearance certainly made it toi the south
by late on Aug 12-13. Watches were made! We should have data from Aug
4-5, 7-8, 11-12, 12-13 and 13-14. Other nights up for grabs? A lot of
rAin and we all knwo why these meteorological features which track in
from the Atlantic at major shower maxima are called epressions, don't
we!
Rates late on 12-13 were moderate, one or two bright  Perseids but
nothing to shout about. There was a SPECTACULAR sporadic fireball
from S England at 0216UT on Aug 12-13 - lit upo the northern sky in
terminal explosion, could have been major over English Midlands.
Once things settle down and reports start to come together, I'll post
a more authoritative summary. At present, Tom McEwan's are the only
Aug 11-12 visuals from UK soil of which I've been told!
Typically, good weather is now forecast and apparent... Murphy owes
us one. I wll settle for two clear nights on Nov 16-17 and Dec 13-14.
It has been one hell of a long time since I had a nice, cloudless
night with no moonlight or other hassle under really high meteor
activity - we seem to get only the dregs of the Perseids here each
year since 1991!
Neil Bone