[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aug. 11/12 General Impressions

Due to other concerns, (wife, kids, parents, all first time observers)
I was unable to do even the simplest of counting or recording, so I'll
give my general impressions for the night.

Observed sunset to sunrise (approx. 4 to 12 UT 12 Aug) with breaks
and interruptions.  Totally clear skies, estimated limiting mag.
slightly less than 6.  Location lat 47.2516785 long -120.5761414
elev 6000 ft. (Table Mountain, WA).

The Perseid meteor shower seemed to be "streaky" (no pun intended)
this year.  There were periods with 6 to 8 meteors in under a minute,
then long periods with nothing.

Did anyone re-calibrate their limiting magnitude after Venus rose?  It
was bright enough to cast a shadow!

--
Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775