[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: UK weather

At 12:34 14/08/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Back in circulation, bleary-eyed, and with work to do rather than
>e-mail! Briefly, it looks like NW British Isles may have had clear
>skies on Aug 11-12, while clearance certainly made it toi the south
>by late on Aug 12-13. Watches were made! We should have data from Aug
>4-5, 7-8, 11-12, 12-13 and 13-14. Other nights up for grabs? A lot of
>rAin and we all knwo why these meteorological features which track in
>from the Atlantic at major shower maxima are called epressions, don't
>we!
>Rates late on 12-13 were moderate, one or two bright  Perseids but
>nothing to shout about. There was a SPECTACULAR sporadic fireball
>from S England at 0216UT on Aug 12-13 - lit upo the northern sky in
>terminal explosion, could have been major over English Midlands.
>Once things settle down and reports start to come together, I'll post
>a more authoritative summary. At present, Tom McEwan's are the only
>Aug 11-12 visuals from UK soil of which I've been told!
>Typically, good weather is now forecast and apparent... Murphy owes
>us one. I wll settle for two clear nights on Nov 16-17 and Dec 13-14.
>It has been one hell of a long time since I had a nice, cloudless
>night with no moonlight or other hassle under really high meteor
>activity - we seem to get only the dregs of the Perseids here each
>year since 1991!

Hi Neil,

I'm afraid that the weather here on the east coast of Scotland has been very
un-cooperative!. Like you I am bleary eyed, although not from counting
meteors, from staying up to 4.00am local time watching the cumulus covering
the sky!.
So far no data.

I shall post -and send you- a list of the nights that have been cloudy and
rainy. Nevermind, perhaps we shall have clear weather for the Orionids,
Leonids and some of the minor showers!. I'm trying to stay optimistic :).

Clear Skies,

Graham.
*Graham Beedie, Monifieth, Dundee, Tayside, Scotland, UK.*
*LAT - 56 deg 27' 54"N                                   *
*LON - 003 deg 00' 42"W                                  *