[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Prelinimary Aug. 10/11

At 10:00 AM 8/14/96 -0700, Gregg Lobdell 234-0884 wrote:
>I've seen a meteor like this.  It seemed to curl or loop around, in a
>very tight circle.  This meteor was seen by several observers at the

I'm only recently into meteor obs, so do not keep the accurate records
that many of you do.  Just the same...

I was out Sun night and caught one like this from the SIDE.
It started within 20 degs of the radiant, travelling along the eastern
horizon (and a little down).  The path was at most 10 degs, and
appeared to "wiggle up and down" as it shot across.

I just confusedly rubbed my eyes and kept watching; seeing these posts
now makes me think more seriously about what I saw...  To bad I didn't
look at my watch :^(

Oh, and on a photography note; On Friday I was taking a 50mm shot of
the southern horizon with Jupiter in the top-left corner, Sag, M6/8/20...,
and a litle Scorp.  In the last few seconds of my exposure a *bright*,
long Perseid dropped through my frame!  It had a good smoke trail.
I haven't gotten it back from the lab yet to see how it came out; I can
hardly wait.  Unfortunately I was too thrilled to notice my watch.

Both at Fremont Peak in California  (36:50:44N x 121:32:13W @ 2000ft)
                                              ~~~~~~
Mark C. Taylor    mct@interrampdot com           |-OO-|
Sunnyvale, CA  37:20:54N x 122:01:56W         | () |
Amateur Astronomer / SJAA Member        --ooO--------Ooo--
Software Architect / Engineer            Kilbert was here