[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: VLF observations

Tom;

Sorry this is a late reply to your post but I have been out of town the
last few days. You wrote

>>  I am setting up an experiment which attempts to receive VLF (very low
>>  frequency) radio waves from meteors during the Perseids.  This experiment
>>  may have some bearing on whether or not a meteor can be "heard"
>>  simultaneously with its being seen and I know there is a long standing
>>  debate on this subject.

I was wondering: are VLF observations localized in angle space (much like a
camera only records a portion of the sky) or do you get returns from all
directions above the horizon.  It may be possible to simultaneously observe
meteors with a intensified video system such as I have and your VLF
detector.  If they are syncronized properly then maybe your question on
meteor timing of returns visually and by VLF could be answered.

Pete G