[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aug. 11/12 General Impressions

<< << Did anyone re-calibrate their limiting magnitude after Venus rose?  It
  was bright enough to cast a shadow!

 My LM dropped from a 5.5 to a 4.2 after Venus and shortly thereafter a slim
 cresent moon rose.

 evin

-------
Kevin,
Venus is indeed bright...but I personally would have changed my view to avoid
any light effects from Venus.  Personally, I was looking North or a little
North North West for most of my recent observations.  I also had a tree to my
East that blocked most of any annoyance from this bright planet. But prior to
any dawn effects, my LM wasn't changed at all from Venus according to my star
count areas...the one in Cepheus and the other in Andromeda (I normally do a
double star count and average the two...when you become more experienced I
will suggest this to you and other relatively new observers). I suspect that
 people with LM's near 7.0 might have noticed a small drop in their star
counts...but my LM was near 6.0 and 6.1 all night.
George Z.