[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseid max from Norway

At 13:22 14-08-96 +0200, you wrote:

>Marco Langbroek wrote:
>>> Scandinavia has nice weather, but also midnight Sun at this moment....

>Sure, and polar bears in the streets...  Now, give us a brake!

What, no polar bears? Sure? Shit! Then the white furry creature we ran over
with our bus in Oslo in 1994 was indeed a lady in fur coat, as some of us
suggested...!

>It's a pity you didn't head for southern Sweden, my friend, you would
>probably have had clear skies there.

Sweden?!? NO WAY! I've been there once (in September, when the midnight sun
and polar bears are gone, though the Moose (Elks) still are a nuisiance...),
and the boose was much too expensive...!!

>>> We just regret that we were not born on the Canary Islands. Or that
>>> we had taken another hobby as a little child, like playing chess or
>>> singing in a church choir.

>My fellow north-west European; time to get yourself a better hobby!
>Find something that puts less strain on the heart.
>Start takin' out street lamps with shot gun.

Now, as an archaeologist I am also quite interested in Anthrophology, and
this ethnographic example about Norse male agressive behaviour I find very
interesting! Actually, I thought that the typical Norse male channelling of
agressiveness was by taking a shot on whales (for strictly scientific
purposes of course...) instead of street lamps.
Of course, it is known to us Dutch anthropologists that in Norway people
never venture outside their igloos without a shotgun. Because of those polar
bears of course, and because of packs of wolves that go hunt for lone meteor
observers during the long cold polar nights when the polar bears have eaten
the last remaining pinguins before going into hybernation...

Kind Regards!

-Marco

PS: no hard feelings!
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |