[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors going up

At 12:09 16-08-96 -0400, you wrote:

><< With discussions on meteors going in curves or sideways, wanted to ask
> if anyone has seen a meteor going up from below the horizon.  Reason I
> ask is that when we were observing last March from the roofdeck of an
> observatory, we were looking east and caught a streak of bright yellow
> light (est. mag -2) shooting up from the horizon.  This really caught
> us off-guard, and as this was around 3 a.m., we could not attribute it
> to anything man-made, like fireworks or rockets.  We suspect it was
> a particularly bright meteor that had a radiant just below the horizon.
>
> Jun
> < >>
>-=-------
>Jun,
>If I understand your description correctly, it sounds like you are describing
>what I call an earth grazer...a meteor that has it's radiant right at or just
>below the horizon can do this...the meteor usually appears quite long.
>George Z.

I (we) observed a similar meteor during the 1993 Perseid campaign from
Rognes, France. It is possible if the radiant is just above the horizon. It
not necesarrily has to be of long trail across the sky: usually such meteors
(when down at the horizon and not right above you when they appear) are more
or less coming towards you, perspectively shortening the trail.

Marco Langbroek (DMS)
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |