[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Prelinimary Aug. 10/11

Let me throw my .02 in on this.
The meteor Kevin and I saw was interesting enough that I also sketched it.
Now I did not see a cirlicue, but what I saw was a meteor (-2 as I recall,
not sure) that shifted path, similar to what Mark drew (in ascii-yuk). I
spent a lot of time thinking about it. What I believe I saw was 2
simultaneous meteors. Probably, at one time they were the same particle,
and therefore had nearly identical paths. The first one lit up, then at
about the time that one extinguished, the second lit up slightly offset in
position. FYI I will include that drawing when I send in this months plots.
I did plot for a few minutes on the night of 10/11th, but was quickly
overwhelmed by the rate, so shifted to counting almost immediatly. I did
also plot the first fireball of the 5 or so spotted that night. Regrettably,
 since I'm New, and was trying to help two other people learn how to count,
I did not obtain enough information about any of the fireballs to make a
fireball report other than time (to the second) and estimated magnitude. I
will send what I've got as soon as I have finished the difficult task of
analyzing my peak night observations. We were fighting clouds all the way,
so I doubt the observations are "scientifically "usable, since cloud
obscured sky exceeeded 40% much of the night, and the Field of View could
only be described as "Variable", i.e. wherever the moving holes were.
Still, the night before was filled with bright meteors so it was a bit of
fun for the 3 of us. More later,
Wayne
-------------
Original Text
From Mark Davis <MeteorObs@Charlestondot net>, on 8/14/96 8:45 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

>I'm confused about a PER at 0759 UT. It was very close to the radiant so
it
>was very short (less than 1 deg.).- my problem is that it was curly-Q
shaped
>(?)  recorded it as -4 mag. w/ a vel. of 4.   I know they are supposed to
be
>in straight lines but this one seem to "spin out". It was independently
>verified by Wayne when we both said at the same time "what the hell was
>that!!".

Kevin, I don't recall having seen one do that before, but the other night I
saw one zig zag like     _____
                ____|

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net