[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radiant in DRA/CYG ? (June 18-19)

<< Hello George,

 Not quite sure what you mean. In my WGN article I clearly stated that you
 issued your report 'a few days before' [15/16 June], and certainly did not
 state that you viewed it on June 15/16. The reference in my article is to
 the mail in which you pointed that (your earlier report) out to me: I didn't
 have the mail of june 11/12 at my disposal since I have no internet/e-mail
 connection myself (unfortunately): all my mailing is via Casper ter Kuile,
 who I visit quite a lot and telephone quite a lot (I actually only knew of
 your mail by telephonic contact with Casper!). I went for a month of
 archaeological fieldwork in Britain only a few days after June 15/16, so I
 didn't have the time to check things out to all extends

 Kind regards (and good luck with observing),

 -Marco
  PS: that mail of June 12 was probably lost here since at that time Casper's
 e-mail provider broke down, or otherwise it drowned in the host of mails
 from those days.
 *---- >>
---------

Marco...
I apologize for saying that you erred in the WGN article...I didn't read it
carefully...only skimmed it as I just about did everything since I began my
Perseid campaign.  It seems that I have about 28 hours worth of things to do
within a 24 hour day since then.  Anyhow, I didn't realize that you were
referring to my second observation on the night of June 15/16 at the
beginning of your second paragraph on page 118 of WGN. I thought you were
interpreting that as my first observation...you did however clear it up later
in the paragraph.  You were correct as you wrote it...I just mis-read it thru
a groggy head. Last night was my 6th and last night of my Perseid campaign
and I'm a little more rested, but not as complete as I will be when I get a
full nights sleep in my bed at home tonight.  I cut my campaign short by 2
nights...mainly due to fatigue and for the sake of my two daughters whom I
have to drag around to grandma's house to sleep each night. It's been hard on
them as well...and as a worn out parent, I felt the difficulties I placed on
them as well. Needless to say...they were tickled pink when I told them that
last night was my last night of observing for a few weeks. Now I got to a lot
of catching up...email, reports, and doing things with the girls....they are
both teenagers (13 and 16) and they have a  list of things they would like
for me to take them to etc. I still haven't read your article thoroughly and
it does appear interesting...I will eventually.  Just want to say that I
jumped the gun in trying to correct you. One thought about it has occurred to
me...that is, perhaps what Bob and I saw on the 11/12 and 15/16 and what the
Italians reported for June 18/19 are merely a possible weak shower's normal
period of activity while what you observed were probably it's short lived
peak? This is a bit over simplifying it at the moment, but that's my
immediate impression.  I believe Gary Kronk is putting together an article
about this possible radiant from his various source of archival data.  It
will be interesting to see his finished product? later and keep up the good
reporting.
George Zay