[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Sensing" meteors & VLF radio

At 04:25 20-08-96 -0400, you wrote:
>It may be that a direct VLF meteor reception (if
>possible) may require an extraordinarily large fireball that may be beyond
>the size range of the regular meteor shower fireballs.
>
>But how can one predict when an *extraordinary* fireball will occur?
>
>More later,
>Tom Ashcraft
>Santa Fe, New Mexico, U S A

If I understood Colin Keay's article in Meteoritics (1992 or 1993 Vol.: not
sure, don't have my library at hand here) correctly, production of VLF
signals strongly depends on some physic constraints, produced by a
combination of fireball velocity, released energy and how deep it
penetrates, decelerates etc. Judging from his article, it could well be that
Perseids, even if bright, generally don't meet the criteria. Try again
during the Taurids and Geminids for example! Good luck with your experiments!

Marco Langbroek
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |