[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Book on meteor observing

<<
 I just recently received a Willmann-Bell catalog.  They have a book by
 Roggemans entitled "Handbook For Visual Meter Observations" ($18.95).
 Would this be a good book for getting up to speed on meteor observing?

 ---
 Bill Tschumy
 Otherwise -- Austin, TX
 Creators of Artificial Life
 bill@otherwisedot com

-----
Bill,
that book is outdated...there is a new edition entitled "Handbook for Visual
Meteor Observers" edited by Jurgen Rendtel, Arlt, and McBeath.  This is
basically the same book but a lot of the problem areas have been corrected or
rendered harmless along with a lot of additions. It is IMO's hand book and I
advise using this as your guide book. Did you receive NAMN's guide book thru
email yet?  If not, ask Mark Davis to send it to you.  This will get you in
the ball park, but the IMO handbook is better.  Another good book that I
recommend is Neil Bone's book entitled "Meteors"...This is more of a general
overall guide that perhaps start a little more at the elementary level and go
up. It touches just about all fields of meteor recording.  Personally, those
two books are what I recommend.  To order the IMO Handbook contact Jurgen
Rendtel...jrendtel@aipdot de and I'm sure he will help you...As for Neil's book,
I've seen it in my local book stores...start there before consider ordering
any from Sky Pub.
George Z.