[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Star Counting

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I am surprised to hear that making star counts interferes with
observing for some people. From my experience approximately 1/2 of my
star counts are interrupted by seeing a meteor. This is probably caused
by the fact it takes me between 1 and 2 minutes to complete a count
unless the sky is poor. If interrupted, I then stop counting, plot the
meteor, and restart the count.

I know when counting you are concentrating on a smaller area of the sky,
but  I still manage to see activity during counting. Due to these
circumstances I would not count this as dead time or a break.

Bob Lunsford