[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) FWD: Re: automated meteor observation entry?

At 08:09 PM 8/20/96 -0400, Lew forwarded:
>This makes me think of the possibility of electronic *submission* of
>visual observations. The idea is to define a standard for electronic
submission >to the VMDB....

This would definitely be a benefit for Rainer, but on the IMO News list, I
saw where he mentioned that he would still need to add new site and observer
codes, plus convert some data, etc. It should be a goal to shoot for. The
NAMN form, although not identical to the IMO form, is modeled after it. That
way, once we forward the report to Rainer, all of the required information
is there. But this doesn't alleviate the problems with the new site and
observer codes. With all the reports NAMN has been sending Rainer, I'm sure
we've kept him busy there!

Also, it should be kept in mind not all observers have access to the
internet/email. Currently, there are only three NAMN members without access.
But these are three veteran observers. What I currently do is contact them
via phone or snailmail, then one I send to Rainer via email, the others
report to IMO on their own. I snailmail them all NAMN newsletters etc. to
keep them "in the loop."

But as an "electronic reporter," I am definitely interested in the hand held
recorders people have been discussing here. Unfortunately, my job is natural
resources and not technical resources, so will have to sit on the sidelines
for this one, except maybe as an advisor from the user's stand point...

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net