[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Facing the Radiant or Not

<<  The question of if you should face the radiant looking for members of a
 meteor shower or not is controversial. I think it depends on the type of
 vision and experiance of the observer. Some excellent observers like George
 Zay will say to face 40 degrees away from the radiant. I face directly at
 the radiant. Now, it may be that because I have wide field vision, this
works
 for me, or maybe it's experiance, I don't know. Any other opinions or
thoughts
 about this out there?

 GWG

-----
George,
There are various reasons to observe about 30 to 40 degrees from a
radiant...particularly if you are plotting for a possible unknown radiant.
 If you observe right at the radiant, the meteors will be so short that often
it is difficult to notice a true direction it's coming from...sometimes it's
over before you get your eyes keenly focused on a direction of travel...and
if the meteors are of the dim variety.  If you are a little ways from the
radiant you will have an easier time aligning a meteor and finding the
radiant.  Just don't be too far away and don't be too close.  Now if you are
watching a major shower and know where the radiant is at, it doesn't become
so apparent because you already have a preconceived idea as to where the
radiant is and your brain will automatically fill in the blanks. But a weak
and maybe iffy shower you need some opportunities to make a good plot....and
a better feel at the meteor's velocity.
George Z.