[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Facing the Radiant or Not

In a message dated 21 Aug 1996 10:33:36 you answered:

>George,
>There are various reasons to observe about 30 to 40 degrees from a
>radiant...particularly if you are plotting for a possible unknown radiant.
> If you observe right at the radiant, the meteors will be so short that often
>it is difficult to notice a true direction it's coming from...sometimes it's
>over before you get your eyes keenly focused on a direction of travel...and

But, the further from the radiant you plot the less accurate that plot will
be. According to the Rainer Arlt email dated 17 Jun 96 11:22:39 EDT, at 30
degrees a plot is only accurate to 17 degrees, at 15 degrees it is accurate
to 14 degrees.

Also, I didn't say look at the radiant, I said to face the radiant. That way
you can better 'back-look, to a possible area (not always a precise radiant)
to determin any possible association. When I do this most meteors I see are
still at 30 to 40 degrees from the radiant. When I observe I never stare at
the radiant, I move my eyes about 30 to 40 degrees around the radiant, thus
increasing my chances of covering more area, seeing more meteors, and deter-
mining if the meteors are associated with the radiant.

GWG