[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) August 21 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I spent an enjoyable 4 hours under the stars at George's observatory.
The skyglow the bad to the west so I decided to face eastward toward
the darkest part of the sky. I counted a total of 69 meteors with the
brightest meteors only being zero magnitude. The highlight of the night
occurred at 9:46 UT when a slow moving meteor appeared near the shield
of Orion (low in the east), shot upward through Taurus, Aries, Pegasus,
and back down again through Delphinus and Aquila. I estimated the total
length to be 140 degrees with it peaking at zero magnitude. The
duration was 4 full seconds. It was difficult not to shout out loud as
the meteor darted through the heavens. I know I said WOW to myself at
least 4 times before the show was over.

Another interesting aspect to this session was the detection of a
possible radiant producing medium-fast meteors between Al Risha (Alpha
Piscium) and Mira (although Mira is now faint). 7 meteors were plotted
from a radiant centered near RA 30 (02:00) DEC 00. Their average
velocity in degrees per second was 13. The average magnitude was 2.71
with individual magnitudes ranging from 0 to 5. I would appreciate it
if Casper, Koen, or Marco of the DMS or anyone else plotting the last
few nights would check their plots to see if they can verify this
activity.

Thanks,   Bob Lunsford

08:00-09:00 UT   .90   6.67   1 KCG   2 NDA   1 NIA
                              4 PER   1 SDA   7 SPO

09:00-10:00 UT   .88   6.60   4 NDA   2 PER   2 SDA   9 SPO

10:00-11:00 UT   .87   6.52   1 NIA   3 PER   2 SDA   12 SPO

11:00-12:00 UT   .88   6.44   1 NDA   4 PER   1 SDA   12 SPO

F was 1.00 for all 4 hours. Teff was reduced due to plotting.

Beginning Temperature 55 F (13 C)   Ending Temperature 52 F (11 C)
Beginning Relative Humidity   55%    Ending Relative Humidity  52%