[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing the Arietids-Triangulids

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

George Zay,

You are correct in stating (plus the IMO suggests) that observers
center their field of view 30-40 degrees from a radiant.

I have a question. While everybody is centered on the Taurus region
September 12, any meteor travelling westward out the the AT radiant
will be 60-80 degrees from the center of your view and therefore
undetectable (unless very bright). Facing this direction will cause at
least a 25% loss in AT rates and probably more. Does this sound
reasonable or am I just lacking sleep?

Like Mr. Gliba I will be facing directly at the radiant so that I will
have no problem seeing any AT meteors moving in any direction 40
degrees from the radiant and beyond. I guess that I should also give
thanks for my good perception over a wide field of view. Now if I could
only see more of those 5th and 6th magnitude meteors everything would
be perfect!

Bob Lunsford

Bob Lunsford