[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Photoelectric cell meteor monitoring

At 20:38 20-08-96 GMT, you wrote:

Dear Dick and George,

The nice thing about our PMT's is that they record durations and can be
adjusted not to trigger on bright stars by programming the trigger treshold.
This works well for our all-sky network so why not during an outburst? You
should have a routine to reject long duration registrations, i.e.
non-meteors. (like airplanes. Non-Leonids will not be a problem during a
storm, 10 sporadics per hour drown in 10000 Leonids per hour)

Other problems might emerge however. I have had a discussion on that after
George his mail. I already mentioned saturations problems. Other problems
might be differences in change of registration for fainter meteors appearing
high in the sky and low in the sky, different for each magnitude class. In
other words: calibration might be difficult, which possesses problems when
you want to convert registrations into zenithal hourly rates.

Marco Langbroek.

>Dear meteor observers,
>
>With regard to the discussion quoted below, may I respectfully submit to
you kind sirs that if you have plans
>like this, you will also have to instruct your machines to avoid
registering: Venus, Jupiter, Saturn,
>Sirius, alfa Lyr.,  Capella, aircraft, etcetera. Maybe automation is fine,
but you should not only register
<960819120201_388761738@emout08.mail.aoldot com>, GeoZay@aoldot com
>schreef:

>> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 12:02:01 -0400
>> From: GeoZay@aoldot com
>> To: meteorobs@latradedot com
>> Subject: (meteorobs) Photoelectric cell meteor monitoring
>> Sender: owner-meteorobs@latradedot com
>>
>> In a message dated 96-08-17 11:32:10 EDT, you write:
>>
>> << Works by means of photoelectric cell coupled to a computer.
>>  Certainly catches meteors bright enough for camera's. We have two such units
>>  operational, one in Leiden, one in Oostkapelle. You should ask Hans Betlem
>>  for more details (betlem@strw.leidenunivdot nl), I only know that it exists and
>>  works well (many years already), have had much benefit of it. Hardly ever
>>  have an all-sky photograph without time of meteor known (only if both
>>  mentioned stations were clouded out and other stations of us captured the
>>  fireball...).
>>
>>  Regards!
>>
>>  Marco >>
>> ------
>> Marco,
>> Has it ever been proposed (or done) to use your photoelectric cell hooked up
>> to a chart recorder or pen recorder to catch high meteor rates for such
>> events as the possible Leonid storms? Maybe if it is sensitive enough to
>> catch -2's or brighter meteors, it would give a more real picture based on
>> time as to the actual activity profile for a major storm such as the Leonids?
>> I personally have been trying to devise such a set up for the past 2
>> years...I've ran into some problems in that I'm getting some constant weird
>> signals onto my chart recorder when I used a fairly large bank of solar
>> cells.  With half the bank these signals are not present...but from what I
>> can tell, it seems that what I presently have will give some kind of small
>> signal for meteors in the neighborhood of -10..dot definitely not feasible for
>> what I'm trying to do. It definitely responds to a full moon! I haven't tried
>> on lesser moon phases...but it's possible? I was thinking that maybe it's
>> "field of view" could be predetermined and overwhelming meteor rates can be
>> more adequately calculated from the sampled sky ? Maybe the problem lies in
>> my equipment, but perhaps with your more sophisticated equipment, perhaps a
>> useable device can be constructed? I think it would have more meaning or at
>> least complimentary meaning than a bank of camera's for such an event?It
>> should show brite meteor hits with accurate times. Everyonce in awhile I will
>> take another look at what I've got so far and make some more tests until I
>> run out of ideas. Anyhow, Just thought I would throw it out there for
>> everyone to chew on...later.
>> George Zay

|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |