[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observing the Arietids-Triangulids

<< I believe faint meteors
 would be most noticeable a short distance from the radiant when its overall
 length is about 10 degrees, rather that when relatively far from the radiant

 when its overall length might be 40 or more degrees. I had a serious eye
injury
 last summer (which I fortunately made a nearly complete recovery) and
learned a
 lot talking to the doctor during my visits over a period of three months.

----
Gary,
10 degrees is a pretty long meteor when it's near the radiant...long enough
for me to maybe not include it as a member of a radiant. If I saw a meteor
that was 40 or more degrees long, I would consider this as an easy target to
notice and plot quite accurately...even if 4th magnitude.  I personally will
be having my center of view within 30 to 40 degrees of the Triangulid
area...I haven't heard anything yet that would change my opinion on this. If
the meteors of this possible shower were of very fast velocity like the
Perseids...I would agree a little easier to view closer to the radiant
because of a higher chance of leaving a train to get an accurate line up on
such a short distance meteor...perhaps a few degrees at best if viewing near
the radiant. Trains from +2 or brighter meteors will probably be common...But
what I understand as a possible velocity is that it is of medium
speed...probably trainless for all practical purposes. The meteors could
appear as a short blip and if you aren't looking dead on at that instant you
are going to be off and being that close to an unknown  radiant, a little bit
off is a lot...under these circumstances, it is possible to have the meteor
appearing going even in the opposite direction.  If you are looking for
meteors out at about 30 degrees where there will be a little more meteor
length to line your alignment cord a little more accurately to, I think you
stand a good chance of having very accurate plots...If you move too far from
this 30-40 degree area whether inside or outside, your plot accuracies will
deterioriate but for different reasons....

I also disagree that a short 4th magnitude meteor is easier to see than a
long 4th magnitude...with a long 4th magnitude, your chances of perceiving
movement are greater than a dim meteor that will show very little movement.
George Z.