[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Facing the Radiant or Not

<< But, the further from the radiant you plot the less accurate that plot
will
 be. According to the Rainer Arlt email dated 17 Jun 96 11:22:39 EDT, at 30
 degrees a plot is only accurate to 17 degrees, at 15 degrees it is accurate
 to 14 degrees.

 Also, I didn't say look at the radiant, I said to face the radiant. That way
 you can better 'back-look, to a possible area (not always a precise radiant)
 to determin any possible association. When I do this most meteors I see are
 still at 30 to 40 degrees from the radiant. When I observe I never stare at
 the radiant, I move my eyes about 30 to 40 degrees around the radiant, thus
 increasing my chances of covering more area, seeing more meteors, and deter-
 mining if the meteors are associated with the radiant.

 GWG

-----
George
Sounds like we are essentially saying the same thing but with different
words...If you are facing the radiant and not looking at it, you are most
likely within 30 or 40 degrees from it.  It is true the further from the
radiant the less accurate the plot will be...where it's stated that at 30
degrees from a radiant the plot is accurate up to 17 degrees ...well this is
the acceptable distance to assume the plot is within range of a radiant to be
counted as a member....but an experienced plotter will usually do better than
that...and the confidence of the plot is indicated on your plot accuracy
as1,2 or 3 on your report.  It's probably good to roam around your center of
view as long as it's within 10 degrees of your center of view.  If you go any
further, your center of view is erratic...you may cover more ground, but as
your eyes moves to another location there will be an area that you previously
had good vision on just became an area with a little less good vision. You
are constantly trading off good vision at one area for that of another. Your
chances just increases and decreases from one spot to another as your eye
roams...this doesn't really increase your overall chances of seeing more
since essentially the same amount of area is always in good view..dot it just
roams around. But the act of moving within a 10 degree area may help in the
sense that it keeps you alert and not dull your senses...particularly within
the peripheral areas.
George Z.