[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Tunnel vision & wide angle perception

On 20 Aug 96, George Zay wrote:

>> I know Lunsford has what I call wide angle perception.
[...]
>> Norman [...] has what I would call tunnel vision..

Sounds interesting.  I'm probably one of those super wide-anglers.
Does anyone know how if there is a way to measure the perception
for meteors, over the entire field of view?
Yes, one can of course do this by observing two people with the
center of field-of-view somewhat shifted.  From such observations,
I have confirmed seeing 3 mags way out in the field (~45 degrees),
and 0 mags close to the corner of the eye.
But is there some method to check this without waiting for meteors
and observing alone?

Although I usually make my observations under LM 6.2-6.5 conditions,
rates are resembling 7.0-7.5 - skies.  The mean magnitude seem to be
0.5-1.0 fainter than my colleagues, while the LM is about identical.
Uncorrected Perseid and Geminid rates have many times exceeded
200, with sporadics being between 20 and the high 30's.
My friends call me a big poet, accusing me of dreaming meteors.

I am usually extremely relaxed when I observe.  I do not concentrate
on any particular star, I do not wander around with the eyes, and I
observe with the center of view about 0-20 degrees from zenith.

All the best,
Trond