[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LM's from a semibeginner

Just a few comments. Once again, this forum has provided an educational and
entertaining discussion.
Thanx as usual to Lew! My observations are this. I believe that a new
observer has so much to learn at once in order to record quality data that
the IMO polygons are easier to handle during the learning stage. One thing
that I naturally do as I'm watching is make side comments to myself about
things to look up (an advantage of having the tape recorder, and having a
lot of time to ponder things in the darkness). So far these have consisted
of things like what stars are along the horizon at a particular time, and
new constellations to learn as they peek up in the east.The other things
that seem to pop up are notes to try and find the magnitude of stars that
are right at the limit of what I can see. The polygons have many gaps of .2
to .4 magnitudes,and my thought was to try and find a way to bridge those
gaps.
Also it's fun! So I guess I my natural curiosity may lead to some
combination of more than one method, which of course will be recorded in
full detail so that others may interpret my observations. But that will
take time. I still feel like I have so much to learn. It is a bit different
here since my LM has only approached 6 for an hour or two of my entire
observing history...most time I'm in the mid 5's, sometimes near 5, so I
need to fill some of those low end gaps in order to provide accurate data
for correction factors. Now if we could just set up a big air filter
at the Pennsylvania- NJ border.......
Wayne