[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) August 22 Observations

Bob,
	Until one has sat through some of those spring yawner hours, one can't
really appreciate how much more fun it is at this time of the year! Of
course, that only inspires me more to be one of dedicated
zealots who will be out there when the Easter Bunny strolls by. \ ;-/
Wayne T
-------------
Original Text
From LUNRO.IMO.USA@prodigydot com (MR ROBERT D LUNSFORD), on 8/22/96 1:46 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I managed 3 hours of observing this morning under clear skies. Rates
were weaker than yesterday. The Perseids nearly disappeared with only 2
being seen this morning. The Aquarid radiants were also quiet. The
radiant near Mira produced only 3 possible members. The brightest
meteor seen was a -2 Kappa Cygnid seen low in the north. It seemed that
meteors this morning did their best to avoid detection by appearing at
the edge of my field. I keep track of the distance a meteor appears
from the center of my field for plotting accuracy. The average is 20-30
degrees. This morning it seemed to be 40-50 degrees! Another hinderence
to plotting  was that meteors would appear in groups. I would see one
meteor, fix its position in the sky and then see another meteor before
being able to plot the first one. This is a pretty shallow complaint as
I would rather see this activity rather than struggle through an
average March morning with perhaps 5 meteors per hour. There is no
overworked feeling that time of year.

09:00-10:00 UT   .90   6.61   1 KCG   1 PER   2 SDA   10 SPO

10:00-11:00 UT   .90   6.59   1 SDA   14 SPO

11:00-12:00 UT   .93   6.44   1 PER   10 SPO

F was 1.00 all 3 hours and the TeFF was reduced due to plotting.

Beginning Temperature:   57F  (14 C)  Ending Temperature:   55F  (13C)
Beginning Relative Humidity:   50%     Ending Relative Humidity:   48%

Bob Lunsford