[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Welcome to Sirko and perception coefficient

Hi Sirko,

Welcome to the meteorobs list...I look forward to your contributions on the
discussions that take place here. You mention your specialty is video
observing, we have a few observers here that participate in that also. And I
have read about the MOVIE system, and congratulate you on the fine success
you are having.

You wrote:
>The correct solution is the individual 'perception coefficient', which was
>introduced to account for just that effect. This coefficient simply tells
you, >whether you see on average more or less meteors compared to your lm
estimates, >and so the results of different observers become comparable with
one another >again. By the way, the perception coefficient of an visual
observer can only be >determined accurately, if a large enough sample of
observations is available.

Thanks for pointing this out since this is extremely important. From my
readings in WGN, I have found the concept understandable and see its value,
but have never actually understood completely how it is derived. Can you
shed more light on this? Also, you mention "a large enough sample of
observations...". Is there a minimum amount that is needed to make the
calculation accurate?

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Awendaw, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network (NAMN)
Assistant Recorder, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html