[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observing the Arietids-Triangulids

>I was pondering doing some telescopic/binocular observing for some period of
>time myself, as an experiment. I guess that's worth attemping? It will not be
>my primary focus(pun intended- we're tied 1-1:-)

Hey, Wayne, try sending your query to Malcolm Currie! For other folks on the
list interested in this question, by the way, Malcolm can be reached at:
	mjc@astro1.bnsc.rl.acdot uk

I've flirted with starting up some telescopic observations myself, but haven't
had enough time for my naked eye observing as it is lately. Anyway, I found
Malcolm's responses to my questions really helpful, and quite tasteful as
well... (That's pun 1 for me.)

Warning though: It sure isn't easy to start up from what I can tell, and if you
want to use binoculars (which is actually the most common way of doing
telescopic observing, according to Malcolm!), you need a stable mount for them, and preferrably one that lets you lay or sit down
while observing. Otherwise, I hear the half-hour watch times turn into a real
pain in the neck (#2!).

Let me know if you try it and how it comes out! This observing technique seems
really intriguing, because it's said to have so much more potential for plotting
accuracy than the naked-eye method! Later,

Lew