[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Telescopic Meteor Observing (was Re: Observing the Arietids-Triangulids)

At 08:49 PM 8/23/96 -0400, Lew wrote:

>Warning though: It sure isn't easy to start up from what I can tell, and if
you
>want to use binoculars (which is actually the most common way of doing
>telescopic observing, according to Malcolm!), you need a stable mount for
them, and preferrably one that lets you lay or sit down
>while observing. Otherwise, I hear the half-hour watch times turn into a real
>pain in the neck (#2!).

This is a very important point Lew, as Malcolm informed me it is extremely
important to have a solid foundation both in meteors, and in a binocular
mount! ;)

For those who are not familiar with Malcolm Currie, he is the Director of
the Telescopic Commision for IMO. In fact, the last I spoke with him, he was
in the process of re-writing some of his telescopic instructional material.
Once completed, he will be making that available to NAMN which will become
the basis for Chapter 4 of the NAMN Guide. So stay tuned...and this reminds
me, I need to contact him...

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net