[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aug. 24/25 Report (GRALE)

METEOR VISUAL OBSERVING FORM
SUMMARY REPORT

DATE: Aug 24/25 1996   BEGIN: 0700UT  END: 0855UT
OBSERVER : GRALE (Lewis J. Gramer)
LOCATION : Long: 71o 06' 24" W;  Lat: 42o 25' 06" N
City & State: Medford, MA, USA;  Elevation: 5 m
RECORDING METHOD: Tape Recorder and Plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS: Use 3 letter Codes
   PER      65 +60                        (RA  4h20)
   KCG     288 +60                        (RA 19h12)
   AUR      76 +42                        (RA  5h04)
   NDA     347  -2                        (RA 23h08)
   NIA     332  -5                        (RA 22h08)

Non-IMO Showers (SPI not active yet according to IMO):
   SPI     358  -6  (Sept Psc - IMO shwr) (RA 23h50)
   AUE      49  -5  (August Eridanids)    (RA  3h16)
   AUM     165 +63  (Alpha Ursa Majorids) (RA 11h00)

OBSERVING PERIODS:
PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   LM    Teff   F      PER KCG AUR NDA NIA SPOR
0700-0855   22h+50  5.25  1.67h  1.11   5   0   0   3   2   4

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1  0   +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6  TOTAL
PER                                  2   2.5 .5          5
KCG                                                      0
AUR                                                      0
NDA                                  .5  2   .5          3
NIA                                  .5  1   .5          2
SPOR                             1       2   1           4
Total:                           1   3   7.5 2.5         14

SKY OBSCURED:
%10   FROM: 0700UT  TO: 0855UT          [Part of FOV blocked by bldgs]

MEAN MAGNITUDES
   SPOR = +2.75   (sample of 4 meteors)
   PER  = +2.70   (sample of 5 meteors)
   NDA  = +3.00   (sample of 3 meteors)
   NIA  = +3.00   (sample of 2 meteors)

DEAD TIME:
   Period 1  13 plots        00h10m
TOTAL    : 00h10m

BREAKS   :
   Period 1   0735-0740      00h05m
TOTAL    : 00h05m

LIMITING MAGNITUDE:
       STAR  STAR
TIME   AREA  COUNT LM     (Mins in effect)
0300    7     8    5.2    15
        14    8    5.2    15
0330    2     8    5.4    30
        7     9    5.2    30
0400    2     8    5.4    30
        7     8    5.2    30
0430    2     8    5.4    27
        7     8    5.2    27
0455    2     7    5.1    13
        7     7    4.9    13
MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: 5.25

METEOR DATA
                                                              PLOT
#   TIME (UT)          SPEED                  TRAIN           ACCU-
    H min       MAG    1-5   COLOR     SHWR   SEC     MAP #   RACY
1   0311        4      3               SPOR           3       1
2   0320        3      4               PER?           1       2   (*)
3   0324        3      3               SPOR           3       1
4   0327        3.5    4               PER?           1       2   (*)
5   #### NO METEOR 5! GAP IN SEQUENCE.
6   0346        2.5    2.5             NIA            6       2
7   0353        3.5    2               NIA            6       1
8   0358        3      3.5             NDA            6       1
9   0408        3.5    3               NDA            3       2
10  0414        3      3.5             SPOR           3       2
11  0418        2.5    4               PER            1       1
12  0424        1      3               SPOR         (Not Plotted)
13  0433        2      3.5             PER?           6       2   (*)
14  0441        2.5    3               NDA            6       1
15  0442        2.5    4               PER?           1       2   (*)
##  0855       ENDED SESSION DUE TO  TWILIGHT AND SKUNKS (!)

(*) - Meteors marked by asterisks have additional data in Remarks.

VELOCITY SCALE:        PLOT ACCURACY:
0 = Stationary         1 = Accurate Plot
1 = Very Slow          2 = Normal Plot
2 = Slow               3 = Generalized Direction
3 = Medium
4 = Fast
5 = Very Fast
REMARKS: Seeing throughout session was medium.

Dead time of 45 seconds was deducted per plotted meteor.

Plot charts will be forwarded to Mark Davis of NAMN via postal mail.

Meteors #2, #4, #13, and #15 were all noted as PERs, despite very
questionable alignment with the official radiant, because all were
seen as very "characteristic" in both path length and speed. The
only explanations are: 1) undue plotting errors, which I believe I
avoided; 2) a chance alignment, despite the speed, relative bright-
ness, and the apparent diffuse radiant formed by these meteors; or,
3) that these meteors may hint at a late subradiant of the stream?

PERSONAL NOTE:
Tonight's observations were a study in perseverance: after initially
discovering that the local Parks Department had put a lock on my
favorite observing spot, and that even the State Police didn't have
a key to it yet, I was forced to do my first-ever official plotting
session from my own very imperfect backyard. Careful positioning of
my lawn chair allowed only a 10% sky obscuration to be achieved, but
a full 20 mins dark adaptation was required to reach the minimum acc-
eptable LM for meteor observing, in spite of the "cold-front skies".

This home-session was a lucky one however, as I discovered two things
which I had not known about my own house: we have bats lodging under
our eaves, which is a welcome discovery; AND, we have a family of very
BOLD skunks also using our garage as a way-station! These varmints
actually forced me inside for 5 minutes in the middle of the watch,
and then necessitated a hasty retreat on my part as morning dawned!
I haven't felt so close to the wilderness in a long time. ;>