[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Skunks (was: Aug. 24/25 Report (GRALE)

Lew Gramer wrote:

> >I guess this must have been a savvy skunk that realised that we obviously
> >didn't know about his potential to ruin our holiday and spared us the indignity
> >of his spray.
>
> Skunks alive! This reminds me of the first time I ever saw a Water Moccassin,
> when swimming in a hammock at the tender age of 7 or so: I thought it was neat
> looking, so I followed it around the pond for 5 minutes or so... !
>
> BTW, Ron, did you ever learn any more about the sunset effect you mentioned?
>
> Lew

Hi Lew

No, I never did learn any thing more about that type of sunset.  That was
about thirty years ago and everything was so new to us.  What I do
remember was sitting on a rocky escarpment in Shenandoah NP looking
westwards over the great plains.  It was a clear sky, except for a thin,
straight layer of clouds sitting on the distant horizon.  The Sun sank
into these, just a few degrees above the horizon.  It was a really
beautiful sight.  I think also, looking back, that was the first night
that I had seen the Milky Way, so clearly.

While I'm on the computer, I have a question to ask.

A couple of weeks back I made a report about a bright single meteor that
I had seen in broad daylight.  I thought this must be so rare that I
thought it worth reporting to some official body and I filled out what I
could on your NAMN form and also sent an attachment.  I have not seen any
response to this and am curoius as to what it was.  I did see a brief
report on a Denver TV news broadcast, and I also have a cutting from an
Apen, CO. newspaper reporting it's sighting, so I know it was real.  The
local police even sent out officers to try and find it. But I saw it in
north western Oklahoma, almost four hundred miles from Denver, so I guess
they didn't find it!  Did you ever see any reports, or hear about this
meteor?  I would be grateful for any information, or sources.

Best wishes
Ron Rennie

Follow-Ups: References: