[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: skunks perceptions DCV

Lots of interesting skunk stories. Guess I'm lucky about never having
encountered one.  But quite frequently on the drive out or in, there is a
brief passage through the aromatic spirits of polecat.  Joan saw one near
her condo one night, no stripe on its body but there was on its tail.

On determining perceptions, I can tell quite well what anyone else is
relative to me, as I have a lot of data spread throughout the year.
Sporadics and stable major showers both work well.  For the southern
hemisphere I have to rely heavily on what we see in common, esp Eta Aquarids
and Geminids.  I compare raw rates seen from similar times of night under
similar conditions, not ZHR's.

Trond's perception rivals Bill Gates from the 70's, who had perception 3.8.
But Gates never got to see the Geminids, for he was clouded out every year
from northern New Mexico.  I was intensely curious as to what he would see
from the Geminids.  I see low 80's consistently so he would surely be above
200.  Gates was a truly unique case.  His shower rates were only twice mine,
but his sporadic rates were TEN TIMES mine!  He was very strong on faint
meteors, as I am.  So with sporadics averaging fainter than showers, he
would just kill me on sporadics.

Using Distance from Central Vision data, I was trying to see what relation
average DCV had with relative perception.  One would naturally expect a
higher perception person to have a higher DCV.  For this data, record to the
nearest ten degrees (accurate enough) how far from your central vision you
first see a meteor.  If 5 deg or less, call it 0.  It's not that hard to do
with just a little practice.  My DCV is only 6 deg!  I don't see much that
isn't right in front of me, but what I do see is seen very well.  Gates'
DCV was 25 deg--four times greater than mine which compares well with his
average hourly rate 3.8X mine.  One can break it down by DCV vs mag also;
the trend being brighter meteors having greater DCV's by common sense.

 Some time back I mentioned than color perception could also be measured by
DCV.  It doesn't matter for me, as it turns out.  If mag 1 or brighter, I
see the color no matter how poorly the meteor is seen.  Must be rich in cone
cells.  Bob L, as an example, says he loses color beyond 40 deg out or so.
This is likely more typical.

Norman

Fort Myers, Florida USA