[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) perception coefficient

On Perception coefficients...I have an article from Peter Jenniskens entitled
"Meteor Stream Activity II. Meteor Outburst".  In it on the listed page of
207, Peter mentions that an observers Perception coefficient is derived by
comparing the observed sporadic rates with the expected sporadic rate seen by
a standard observer at 0h local time during the month of August for the
northern Hemisphere and during the month of February in the Southern
Hemisphere.  There's a big ole musty looking math formula that goes with all
of this etc.  I personally don't know how to do it nor understand who is the
standard observer to compare from, but perhaps this will shed some light on
the subject in getting started a determination of an individuals Perception
coefficients?  I also don't know how universally accepted this method is, but
I see no reason to think that Peter doesn't know what he is talking
about...he is quite knowledgeable in this area.
George Z.