[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball Reporting

GeoZay@aoldot com wrote:

> << A couple of weeks back I made a report about a bright single meteor that
>  I had seen in broad daylight.  I thought this must be so rare that I
>  thought it worth reporting to some official body and I filled out what I
>  could on your NAMN form and also sent an attachment.  I have not seen any
>  response to this and am curoius as to what it was.  I did see a brief
>  report on a Denver TV news broadcast, and I also have a cutting from an
>  Apen, CO. newspaper reporting it's sighting, so I know it was real.  The
>  local police even sent out officers to try and find it. But I saw it in
>  north western Oklahoma, almost four hundred miles from Denver, so I guess
>  they didn't find it!  Did you ever see any reports, or hear about this
>  meteor?  I would be grateful for any information, or sources.
>
>  Best wishes
>  Ron Rennie
>   >>
> ------
> Ron,
> I believe I did get your Fireball Report.  If it was in good form, I would
> have emailed it to FIDAC. I don't keep a log as to what reports I sent off so
> I am not sure.  Eventually FIDAC sends out a Fireball Report...roughly on a
> monthly basis. If they got it, it will be listed in their report. To tell the
> truth, what I'm reading above sounds like additional information that I
> didn't have initially. Or this could also be an event that I didn't get at
> all either? I do know that I received a report from somebody awhile back that
> was rather confusing...I couldn't interpret what was being said.  I don't
> know if this was yours or somebody else's. Anyhow, unless I hear more info
> from other people or indications about it being on the news or wording that
> it was a day time event, I don't dwell on it too much other than forwarding
> it  to FIDAC. But knowing how I would react, if you used the words day time
> event, or in the news etc, I would have perked up for more info to forward on
> to Zolensky as well.  Another possibility though...if the report reached my
> knowledge about 3 or more days beyond the event, I probably would have
> thought that it was too late to inform Zolensky and treated it as past event
> that can't be pursued any further without more input from others. Sorry if it
> didn't get sent thru..dot can't remember if it made it thru or not?
> George Zay

Hi George
I think I sent my original report to yourself, but I can't be certain at
this time as my copy of it has been deleted, so I will send it to you
again.
I am sorry that the report was late which was due to the fact the
sighting took place while I was on vacation and we were driving back to
Los Angeles via some of my favorite places in Colorado.  It was nearly a
week before we arrived home and I had access to a computer.  I am new to
meteor spotting and did not the best place to report this so I
immediately contacted Sky and Tel, and Astronomy.  It was when I was
checking a few days later to see if they had any reports of the incident
that I came across the link to your page.  So this all added up to quite
an unavoidable delay.  I'll know what to do next time I see a daylight
meteor ;-)
I am attaching a copy of the report I made for my local astronomy club
which I hope will be useful to you.  I have today sent a copy to Andre
Knoefel, so FIDAC has the information.  Please let me know if I can be of
any more help
Best Wishes
Ron Rennie
Lomita CA