[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: perception and DCV

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Mark wrote:

> As for tips, I have found personally that much depends on my alertness
[as if
> you didn't know that already ;)] so what I do is try to name the stars
in my
> head that I am the closest to as I "watch" the sky. (Does this make
sense?)
> This helps me learn starnames as well as stay awake and is similar to
what I
> believe Wayne mentioned one time that he does to learn the
constellations as
> they rise in the east.
>
> Bob, can you provide any more tips?

Mark, you pretty well covered it. All I can add is that after gaining
experience in the field it will come to you naturally. It is amazing
what the brain can record in such a short instance. The problem is that
it takes too darn long to get that information written down on your data
sheet. That is why I believe it is very important to record each data
item in exactly the same order for every meteor. If you start filp-
flopping you will get messed up and forget certain aspects of the meteor
. I always record and have my data sheet set up in this order: Time,
Magnitude, Type (PER, SPO, etc.) duration, length, DCV, train, and other
comments such as color or fragmentation. This can be a real chore
especially after spending a minute or so plotting. That is why recording
data on tape seems like such a holiday!

Bob Lunsford