To: ASTRO
From: palmer@SFUdot ca (Leigh Palmer)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:34:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Meteor on film

>This method is how to get 3-D positions. Of cource, one must observes
>same meteor at another distant site. If you get  positions and a velosity
>of the meteor, then one calculates this meteor's orbit in solar-system.
>One more I say that one guesses at the falling point of meteorite.

The orbit can only be determined if one has some indication of time on the
film. This is most commonly achieved by chopping the light with a shutter
so that the meteor trail appears as a series of dashes. In such a case the
position of the track is not determined from the positions of stars at the
time of the meteor (the exposure is not usually terminated immediately).
Lacking this information the only clue would come from curvature of the
track, and I can't imagine that would be easy.

You are certainly correct in saying that one can only guess at the impact
point from such data. A network of such cameras here in Canada did succeed
in finding one such meteorite (Innisfree?). It also helped that when the
object landed in Saskatchewan the ground was covered in snow - the pieces
of the meteorite were easy to spot lying on top of the white surface! The
network is no longer operating. Since the discovery that the Antarctic ice
sheet concentrates meteorites that has provided the most cost effective
method of finding them.

Leigh