[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re Aug 23 (24 UT) Ontario Event

I am new to the list, and just saw the recent post by Cathy Hall re the
Ontario event.  We coordinate the Canadian Fireball Reporting System here
at Mount Allison, as part of the Meteorite and Impacts Advisory Committee
to the Canadian Space Agency (MIAC), and have 20 reports on this event
already up on-line. The on-line Canadian reports are at the following
location:
http://aci.mtadot ca/TheUmbrella/Physics/Meteor/MIAC/Fireball.html (go to the
bottom of the page, where the links for fireball reports from various
months are located - note that not all are up in electronic form, and we
delete contact names and addresses as part of confidentiality requirements
from our association with the Canadian government).

The Aug. 23 (we call it Aug. 24, as we use UT) was definitely a meteor,
although there is no evidence that a meteorite survived.

I might also refer you to the MIAC general pages which are at the following URL
http://www_dsa.uqac.uquebecdot ca/Divers/Higgins/MIAC.html
These contain images and text on meteorites, fireballs and impact sites. It
is maintained by MIAC member Michael Higgins.
http://aci.mtadot ca/TheUmbrella/Physics/Meteor/IAU22/

Finally, as Secretary to the International Astronomical Union Commission on
Meteors and Interplanetary Dust (IAU C22) I maintain a home page with some
links which may be of interest to NAMN members. It is at URL

Thanks for the notice about your list (which I will distribute to other IAU
C22 members in my next posting), and I look forward to reading your posts.

Bob Hawkes,
Mount Allison University,
Sackville, NB Canada E0A 3C0
rhawkes@mtadot ca